Previous Entry | Next Entry

Seeking Member Input

  • May. 3rd, 2009 at 4:02 PM
Reading the Classics currently has 22 members and 30 subscribers. Hello everyone! I am really happy you joined. 

Confession time. I have never moderated an online community and I am not certain the best way to encourage thoughtful discussion of the books.

Should I create a discussion post every few days on specific chapters?

Should I create topical posts on themes of the book, opinions on characters, comments on the author, meaningful quotes, how the book relates to you, if you liked this book then you would also like this book?

All of that?

Would it be too much?

I would love to read any and all suggestions and to see examples of other online book clubs you think run well. 

 

Tags:

Comments

glamjam: (Black Books; what?)
[personal profile] glamjam wrote:
May. 3rd, 2009 09:10 pm (UTC)
Maybe try all of the above at first and see what members respond to? I have really no idea. D:
lifebecomesart: Charlie Crews on Life reading Zen book (Life - Charlie Reading)
[personal profile] lifebecomesart wrote:
May. 4th, 2009 02:13 am (UTC)
I love your icon.
trouble: Sketch of Hermoine from Harry Potter with "Bookworms will rule the world (after we finish the background reading)" on it (Default)
[personal profile] trouble wrote:
May. 4th, 2009 01:53 am (UTC)
I would say start a discussion every couple of days on new chapters, and then when it's all done, do the topical posts? Or maybe intersperse topical posts with chapter-related posts.
lingeringviolet: (Default)
[personal profile] lingeringviolet wrote:
May. 4th, 2009 01:54 am (UTC)
I like the idea of a post every few chapters and then maybe one at the end to discuss the book as a whole. However, I also like the idea of the poster above me who mentioned trying them all at first and see what everyone likes best.
lifebecomesart: Charlie Crews on Life reading Zen book (Life - Charlie Reading)
[personal profile] lifebecomesart wrote:
May. 4th, 2009 02:12 am (UTC)
Personally, I like the idea of discussing themes, characters, quotes, etc. more than specific chapters.

Perhaps the first reply has the best idea of trying everything and seeing what people respond to the best :)

Are you planning on doing a suggestion/discussion post to pic books for the upcoming months?
[personal profile] pseudonymous wrote:
May. 4th, 2009 05:31 pm (UTC)
I do plan on taking suggestioons in the future in a monthly suggestion post. But I already decided on the moon and sixpence for June because I adore that book.
[personal profile] leighton wrote:
May. 4th, 2009 02:13 am (UTC)
I'm in favor of interspersed chapter and thematic questions. Chapter questions can be useful in keeping everyone on the same page, so to speak, but they could also deter people who are either behind or ahead from jumping in. I think thematic questions can be potentially best as an endcap discussion, but it can also work well to discuss them as they're developed in certain chapters. Like Werther's attitude towards class, women, etc.
[personal profile] avast wrote:
May. 4th, 2009 02:18 am (UTC)
I've seen other book communities (of course, given my luck, I cannot recall their names at the moment) where the moderators post chapter discussion posts and they seem to do pretty well.

One thing that appears to help break the ice is if the moderator posts their own personal reactions to the chapter, and their own ideas about symbolism and what they thought about certain quotes, etc. Being the first person to come out and start a discussion is daunting. Having the mod get the ball rolling in such a way appears to help because people can respond to what you say and then form their own ideas to add to the discussion.

Asking specific questions in the post also stimulates the conversation. E.g., "What do you think of character A's reaction to character B's betrayal?" When there is something specific to respond to it seems, in my experience, that people are more apt to comment because it isn't this big general bubble that they have to react to. You could, if you don't feel like posting your own general reactions to the chapter, post a series of questions about the chapter to help guide members in the discussion.

However, like others said, when it comes down to it you might want to try out different methods and then stick with the one the produces the best outcome in terms of quantity and quality. (Blah blah blah, I swear, I'm not normally such a blabby know-it-all.)
[personal profile] pseudonymous wrote:
May. 4th, 2009 05:33 pm (UTC)
Thank you for the thoughtful comment. I will post my format decisions when I get home from work tonight
inkedcoffee: book travels (books ยป book travels)
[personal profile] inkedcoffee wrote:
May. 4th, 2009 10:49 am (UTC)
I like the idea of doing chapter discussion posts (it's a good starting point for talking about the book), interspersed with thematic post(s).

I agree with the others, let's try different things first and see which one works. :)

Classic of the Month

* July *



Villette
by
Charlotte Bronte

* August *



The Moon and Sixpence
by
W. Somerset Maugham

* September *



Things Fall Apart
by
Chinua Achebe

* October *



Rebecca
by
Daphne du Maurier

* November *



Don Quixote
by
Miguel de Cervantes

* December *



Don Quixote
by
Miguel de Cervantes

Latest Month

November 2009
S M T W T F S
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930     
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios
Designed by [personal profile] chasethestars